DAY OPPORTUNITIES FUND
Funding has been secured to continue the “Day Opportunities Fund” that will be used to support the development of regular, new or additional groups/activities for people within Annandale and Eskdale where a gap has been identified. The principle aim of this fund is to reduce social isolation and promote independence.
The overarching outcome for the Fund is
People are able to access and support a wide range of low level opportunities within their local community which enable them to keep mentally and physically active, lead a more fulfilling life, continue with life-long learning, maintain and develop friendships, feel less isolated, self-manage a long-term condition, make a contribution and support others.
Applications will be considered for projects/activities which support at least one of the following:
- People feel less isolated and lonely;
- People (particularly Carers) have improved health and wellbeing
- People have developed new skills that support independence.
The following are the types of projects/activities which could be supported and have been taken from “The Campaign to End Loneliness”. However this is not an exhaustive list and are just examples:
• Social groups and Friendship groups which aim to help people stay connected with others e.g. “Men in Sheds”
• “Lunch club” type activities - in local cafes, for instance
• Community activities e.g. reminiscence and local history projects, arts and crafts activities
• Health promotion interventions e.g. exercise sessions, healthy eating.
The fund is intended as a way of supporting the setting up of new groups and activities but to be successful and supported will need to indicate how they can become self- sustainable or able to attract funding from other sources for the longer-term.
The fund is not there to support one-off events such as Christmas meals, day trips etc.
The Day Opportunities Fund Application Form can be viewed here. For more information email dumf-uhb.SHAP@nhs.net or phone 01461 207728.